Long Distance Moving Made Simple
Save money when you use a portable storage container to move across Canada.
With 18 full-service BigSteelBox stores across Canada, we can easily, efficiently and affordably move you to a new city or province.
Even if your destination isn't in a city with a BigSteelBox store, chances are we can still service your long distance move economically.
We’re already transporting containers across our network every day, so whether you’re moving to a different city or province, we'll plan the logistics, and deliver your belongings safely to your new home.
How It Works: Convenience & Peace of Mind When Moving to a New City
Moving long distance is a big deal and can be stressful, so we're here to help make it as easy as possible for you.
We'll drop off your BigSteelBox as far in advance as you need it, so there's no need to fit all your packing into one day.
We'll pick up your container when it's full, handle all of the logistics of shipping it to your new city, and make sure it's delivered to your new home when you're ready for it.
Our containers are wind, water and rodent-proof so your things will be safe inside. If your BigSteelBox needs to be stored before it’s shipped to your new home, we'll keep it at one of our secure storage facilities. It can be stored in your origin or destination city, whichever option is more convenient for you. Plus, you keep the key to your Box, so no one will be able to access your things while it’s in transport.
At your new home, keep your BigSteelBox as long as you need it to unpack – or keep it for storage while you get settled. It's as simple as that!
Compare BigSteelBox to Renting a Moving Truck or Hiring a Moving Company
Quite simply, choosing to do your long distance move with BigSteelBox is less stressful and usually more economical than using a rental truck, traditional moving company, or similar service, such as PODS. Here’s why:
BigSteelBox vs. Rental Truck
• With BigSteelBox you won’t have to cram all of the stress of moving into one or two days - take a week or a month to load your container, it’s up to you!
• When you move with BigSteelBox you won’t need to worry about driving a moving truck or towing a trailer across the country, which will also make it easier to coordinate your own travel to your new city.
• With BigSteelBox the price is the price. Moving truck or trailer rental companies will charge extra for mileage or additional days you need your rental truck.
• If you need storage for anytime during your move, your things are storage-ready in your BigSteelBox. Once your container is packed you won’t have to load and unload your things from a truck or trailer to a storage unit, which will save you time and reduce the risk of damage to your belongings. It will also save you the costs of renting another truck when it's finally time to move everything in to your new home.
BigSteelBox vs. Traditional Moving Companies
• Depending on where you’re moving, and the amount of contents you need to move, the cost of hiring a traditional full service moving company can be significantly more than moving with BigSteelBox.
• With BigSteelBox, you pack your container so you don’t have to worry about other people handling your belongings.
• With a traditional moving company, you will need to complete the loading in one day, and unloading in one day. With BigSteelBox you can take all the time you need to pack or unload your Box.
• Most moving companies calculate the cost of a long distance move based on the weight of the load and distance of the move. A 20' BigSteelBox can hold up to 10,000 lbs, and most average sized 3 to 4-bedroom homes will fit into one BigSteelBox. If you are moving more that 4,000 to 5,000 lbs of contents, you will realize a significant savings with BigSteelBox.
• Beware of extra costs and fees! In many cases, moving companies initial quotes will be a low-ball estimate based on a weight calculator. Then, the truck carrying your things will be weighed at a scale. The weight reported at the scales will be what the you end up paying for in the end. With BigSteelBox, the price we quote you from the beginning is the price you will pay – no surprises.
BigSteelBox vs. PODS®
While PODS also provides a convenient, "pack at your pace" long distance moving option, there are a lot of differences to consider.
The first factor, which will directly affect the cost of your move, is whether or not they have a location in both your origin and destination city. BigSteelBox has 18 full service locations across Canada. PODS only has 8.
If your current and new city both have a serviced location, then it usually comes down to four factors:
1) Size and Volume:
Based on interior dimensions, a 20' BigSteelBox has over 44% more space in terms of volume compared to a 16' POD (1172 vs 814 cubic ft). While this will make a significant difference when comparing cost per cubic foot, it doesn't really matter unless you need to order a second container!
Most 3 to 4-bedroom homes will fit in a 20' BigSteelBox. If you cannot fit all of your belongings into a 16' POD, you'll need to order that second container, which will almost double the costs.
2) Weight Capacity:
Weight capacity is another significant consideration. According to the PODS website, a 16' POD has a contents load limit of 4,200 lbs. BigSteelBox has a load capacity of 10,000 lbs. That's 138% more!
Security is always a factor when considering a mobile moving and storage service. PODS containers are constructed with aluminum skin panels on a steel frame, whereas a BigSteelBox is built completely of steel, making it far stronger and more secure.
Plus, a BigSteelBox is wind, water, and rodent-proof, and comes equipped with a lock box that protects your padlock from bolt cutters. These are extremely important factors if your container is going to be stored on your property for any length of time. A BigSteelBox will keep your belongings safe and dry, and it will be a much greater challenge for potential thieves.
Call us at 1-800-373-1187 or request a quote and we'll be happy to provide you with a competitive price for your long distance move. When you're comparing us, don't forget to consider the extra space, weight capacity and security features of a BigSteelBox.