4 Tips to Make Sure Your Long Distance Move Goes Smoothly
A long distance move can be an exciting time! But, if you’re moving your family to a new province or city, it’s a big endeavour that can be even more daunting than a regular local move.
We’ve come up with four simple tips to help ensure your long distance move goes as smoothly as possible.
1) Make a Plan
Start laying the groundwork early for your long distance move to ensure that everything goes as planned come moving time.
Consider where you’re moving to. That includes things like weather, space and lifestyle. Are you still going to need that snow blower? Will there be enough room in your new basement or garage for everything you’re storing now? This is the time to make some tough decisions about what you’ll take with you and what you should leave behind.
Make a work-back schedule. Knowing what you need to be doing two months before the big move, one month, and a week ahead is crucial to keeping yourself on track. Map it all out for yourself and have fun checking everything off your list.
Don’t do everything on your own. It’s ok to get help with this huge task! If you have family and friends nearby, find out when they might be able to help you pack or clean once you’re done packing. Just promise them pizza and cold drinks when the work is done! If you choose to move with BigSteelBox, we’ll deliver and pick up your container on your schedule. Plus, you’ll be able to take your time throughout the packing process - don’t try to squeeze all the stress of moving into one day!
2) Pack Strategically
Once all your planning and logistics are laid out, you still have to get down to the packing. It can be tempting to just fill boxes with all of your things as quickly as possible, but that will definitely lead to a headache down the line when you’re unpacking in your new home. Instead, pack strategically to save yourself time and effort.
1. Declutter before you pack anything. There’s no reason you should bring your whole junk drawer with you on your long distance move, so sort through that mess ahead of time. This is a great time to really assess what adds value to your life and to toss things you’re not using.
2. Colour code your boxes. Assign a colour to every room in your new home and use those colours to label your boxes. Create a master list that clearly indicates the colour assigned to each room. By colour coding your moving boxes, anyone helping you unpack will know where each box needs to go.
3. Pack things properly to avoid breakage. The way you pack dishes is different from the way you pack shoes, so take the time to do it properly. If you’re looking for detailed packing tips, check out this post: The Best Packing Tips For Moving Across Country!
4. Try a portable solution. If you choose to use a moving container company like BigSteelBox, then you should fill it to the brim! Portable storage containers offer a ton of space, but packing it properly ensures that you really maximize the space. Check out the video below for tips on how to pack a BigSteelBox:
3) Research Moving Companies
Not all moving companies are created equal, and not every mover will meet your needs. So, it’s important you do your research before you choose a moving company. For a long distance move especially, you should look for a company that specializes in that area, and one that can transport your belongings for you. Here are a few more things to consider:
1. Pick up the phone!
Call moving companies in your area and talk to them about their moving solutions. Find out who will give you a comprehensive quote, how long they have been in business, and what kind of terms and cancellation policy they have.
2. Ask for an estimate and get all the pricing details.
What is included in your moving contract? Are there seasonal rates, mileage fees or weight limits? Make sure you know exactly what you will be paying for before you sign on so you aren’t surprised with costs after the move is done.
Most long distance moving companies charge by weight. They will typically estimate the weight based on a description of your home and contents, or they will do a walk-through of your home. Once the truck is loaded, it is weighed at a scale and that reported weight is what the final cost will be based on. Obviously, this is where you can experience a significant additional charge if the weight was not estimated correctly.
Understanding how the moving companies are estimating can save you a big surprise down the road. Make sure you compare the cost per pound and not just the bottom line. In our experience, the average contents weight of full 20’ BigSteelBox used for a long distance residential move is 7,000 pounds. If you have a 3 to 4-bedroom home, and the company is estimating less than 4,000 pounds, you should be aware that the actual cost could be much higher.
3. Consider a non-traditional moving company.
There are more options than just a moving truck or traditional moving company. Moving container companies, like BigSteelBox allow you to pack at your own pace and offer storage in between homes. They also charge based on the number of Boxes used in the move and not by the weight of the contents, so there is much greater cost certainty when choosing a mobile storage option. (And each 20’ BigSteelBox can hold up to 10,000 pounds!) Looking for a more detailed price comparison? Check out this post: What Is The Cheapest Way To Move Across Canada?
4) Consider Mobile Storage
Sometimes move-in dates don’t line up (especially when you’re moving long distance) or perhaps you’re still looking for the perfect home in your new city.
If you’ll be staying somewhere temporarily before or after your long distance move, you may find renting a portable storage unit useful. Mobile storage containers, like BigSteelBoxes, are extremely secure and can be picked and delivered on your schedule. If you decide mobile storage is an option that will work for you, look for a company that can combine the temporary storage service with the long distance moving service.
Let BigSteelBox help make your long distance move go smoothly!
With BigSteelBox, you pack your things in a mobile storage container, and we move it for you. You can store your container on your property, or we can keep it at one of our secure storage facilities until you’re ready to unpack at your new home.
What are the benefits of moving with a portable storage container? Here are just a few:
1. It allows you to pack and unpack at your own pace.
2. Mobile storage containers are almost always more affordable than traditional movers who charge by weight. The only exceptions would be for a small, light weight move.
3. There are 17 full service BigSteelBox stores across Canada, so we can provide long distance moving and portable storage solutions to several cities and towns across the country.
4. We do the driving! We’re already transporting storage containers across the country everyday, so you can leave the logistics to us.
5. Your belongings will be safe in our wind, water, and rodent-proof containers.
6. The price quoted for your long distance move and storage services is the price you’ll pay. There won’t be any surprise mileage fees or over-weight charges.
7. Unlike many traditional moving companies, BigSteelBox’s fees are based on the number of containers you need, not by weight. A 20’ BigSteelBox can hold up to 10,000 lbs, so that can add up to significant savings if you have a lot to move.
If you’re ready to let BigSteelBox help you with your long distance move, request a free quote online today, or give us a call at 1-800-373-1187. We’re here to answer any questions you may have about your long distance move and storage services in between homes.